One more cup of coffee for the road

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Am I loving Rome? Is the Pope Catholic?



On Sunday I went to St. Peter's and attended Mass. Kind of funny, considering I'm not Catholic and it was all in Latin and Italian, so I really didn't understand much. But somehow, it was still a very moving experience.
I went with 2 co-workers and we arrived a bit early, so we went to visit the tombs of the Popes while we waited for the service to start. They have to let you in in small groups because so many people stop to ponder or pray at John Paul II's tomb. There were about 30 people stopped and many of them were crying as they knelt in prayer in front of his tomb. The ground was covered with flowers and icons that mourners still bring regularly. Whether you agree with his theology or not, he was a man who touched the life of many people and he is still missed. I have asked Italian co-workers here about him and what things were like in Rome when he passed away... Many of them actually went to the Piazza at St-Peter's to mourn his passing even though they admit to not being practising Catholics. One even had tears in her eyes as she spoke with me about JP. Popey was a special man.

The Swiss Guards' uniforms are hilarious. It's easy to forget that the men in the red, orange and blue clown pants are actually trained mercenary soldiers.

Although it's hard to tell, the picture above is me as we entered the Basilica. Can't you just hear a chorus of angels singing in the background?




7 Comments:

Blogger JB said...

Beautiful shot, the way the light is streaming in...Very majestic and angelic.
I don't know any Latin -
Do you know what it says around the cupola?

11:27 AM  
Blogger Amy, Vi and Andy said...

Those Swiss Guargs are hi-larious eh? They kind of look like clowns, but a little word of advice -- DON'T ask them to make you a balloon animal. It does not go over well...

7:53 AM  
Blogger Ma Horton said...

I was in Rome in 1981 and still remember the the hush that came over the crowd as the Pope entered the Basilica ..I am not Catholic either but the experience of that moment never left me . Hope you are well Kimmy and thanks for all of your help even across an ocean .

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm..Darlin'....I'm gettin' kinda bored at the same pic. How bout a new post, k?

Kneesox.

10:03 AM  
Blogger N@ Lauzon said...

I DEMAND A NEW POST.

NOOOOOOOOW.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Ma Horton said...

Quit eating pasta and pizza and update this dang thing ?

7:53 AM  
Blogger JB said...

Have a great Christmas, Kim.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home