One more cup of coffee for the road

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I Shall Not Walk Alone...

My friend Clare is my first official visitor in Rome. AND the first to see my apartment. AND the first to smell the horrible, stale sewer smell that seems to drift out of my bathroom drain everyday. I tried opening the bathroom window, using air freshener, burning matches but nothing seemed to help. BUT on Saturday, we went shopping and I happened to buy about 100g of black-green mint soap from Lush, which I put in my bathroom. Funnily enough, the smell of the soap is so strong that it seems to have overpowered the sewer smell. Nice.

While we were exploring the shopping on Via Del Corso, I had to stop at the Farmacia to buy razors so that I could shave my legs and pits (because there ARE limits to how much I'll assimilate to European culture). The store was pretty small and there was only one other family shopping in the store with us at the time. The woman was a tall, well dressed blonde (Clare noticed her dress right away) and she was at the counter buying something, while her husband and son stood beside her, having a conversation in English:

Son: Why are there butterflies on that package?
Dad: Because that's what the marketing company decided they wanted on the package.
Son: Why would the marketing company want butterflies on their packages?
Dad: Because they thought the people might like the butterflies and want to buy their product…
And so it went...

The father was so patient with his son. He answered the questions at a level the son could understand, but didn't talk down to him either. It was pretty darned cute, I tell ya, and my heart melted right there. I fell in love with a married stranger in a Farmacia in Rome. Then his wife finished her shopping and he walked out of my life.

WELL! When we got outside, a crowd had gathered around the man, asking for his autograph. Turns out the total stranger that I fell in love with was BEN HARPER. He and his wife (who my friend Annie later informed me was LAURA DERN) and their son were shopping on Via Del Corso too! I suck at recognizing celebrities, and never would have realized who they were if it hadn't been for the group of fans and the news camera crew waiting outside the store to follow them down the street.

For the record, Ben Harper is now on my list.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger N@ Lauzon said...

Ben Harper is a hottie!!!!!!!!
I love it! :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger JB said...

...and I likey Laura Dern. She has a certain smolder about her. Not cookie-cutter Hollywood cute, but a really good-looking woman of quality with a brain. Good choice, Ben! ...and way to go on bein' a good Daddy, too. (and getting Kim all 'cited!)

Welcome back to blog-land, Kim. Even if it did take a long time to find a reason to blog, you've got a good reason now, and that's really cool.

1:03 PM  
Blogger JB said...

p.s. Sorry about the sewer smell. Hope they don't run out of that soap, or you find a cheaper way to mask the offending odour.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Ma Horton said...

I love your Italian men stories ..tell me more , tell me more ..has anyone given you the traditional slap on the a** hello greeting yet ?

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't ben Harper the PM's son? I am soooo old!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah...that was me above!

Kneesox

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home